Regardless of what social media platform your business is on, your social media business profile is one of the most important aspects of your online presence. Your social media profile isn’t valuable to your business if no one sees or engages with it. With that being said, there are some easy and effective ways to optimize it so that you ensure you are not only visible but worthy of engaging with.
Here are seven ways to optimize your social media business profiles for better visibility and engagement
1. Optimize your bio
The first thing people see when they come to your social media business profile is your Bio. You only have a few seconds to grab a person’s attention and get them to follow you. This goes for every platform including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc. This is your opportunity to give a brief yet meaningful snapshot of who you or your company is. Another important reason you should have a good bio is search results. The more optimized your bio is, the more traffic you will see and the more potential followers you’ll attract.
Here are the key elements to a complete and effective bio:
- Make sure all sections are filled out- This will help ensure that visitors get all the info they need.
- Use a clear profile image- Keep it consistent across your active accounts.
- Make sure any links are up to date.
- Always include a link to your website or offer
- Add a call to action – provide a link to your sign up page for your newsletter, latest blog post or special offers. Use a URL shortener like bitly.com. This allows your links to be easily shared.
- For Instagram, make sure you include some relevant keywords and hashtags so people can find you more easily.
Keep in mind that your target audience may differ depending on which social media platform you are writing your bio for. For platforms like Instagram and Twitter, you are looking to be more personal yet authentic. For a more professional platform like LinkedIn, your a bio should be longer. Here are the character limits for these main platforms:
- Instagram: 150 characters
- Twitter: 160 characters
- LinkedIn: 2000 characters
- Facebook: 155 characters
2. Keep your profile image consistent across all platforms
Your brand logo should be exactly the same on every one of your social media accounts. By having the same logo, people will start to get to know you and keep you top of mind. When it comes time to choose between your company and a competitor’s, chances are higher they will go with yours.
This goes for your social media handle too. Keep it the same across your accounts so that people can find and follow you. You also should keep your handle as close to your brand name as possible.
3. Make sure your profile image is the right size for each of your social media business profiles
Follow the proper image sizing for each platform you are on. You want to make sure your images are sized properly so that they look correct on whatever type of device they are being viewed on. Here is a list of the optimal image sizes for these major platforms.
4. Take stock in the tagging of photos
When it comes to tagging, make sure you are not tagged in anything questionable and that you are not tagging you brand in anything questionable. Here is a list of best practices for tagging:
- Look into where you have been tagged
- Confirm who can see your tagged posts and photos
- Set up your account to have you give approval before any tagged images appear
- Delete tags from photos and posts you don’t want to be tagged in
- Put a restriction on who can tag you in photos
Now that you have a tagging strategy set up, you should monitor it regularly. See what you are being tagged in and untag yourself accordingly. One thing you don’t want to do is do away with tagging altogether. It is an important tool to use to not only have your brand show up in more places but also helps with engagement.
5. Use the right keywords
You want people to be able to find you or your brand. The best way to achieve this is through keywords. If you use the right ones in your social media business profile, people will find you when they do a search. Here are some ways to find the ideal keywords that fit your industry or niche.
Keywords Everywhere and Google Keyword Planner are two tools that can help you identify the right words and terms. Once you have found your keywords, use them in your social media profiles. Just be sure to include them in a natural way and you will see the benefits in your search engine ranking.
6. Fill out each field
Like we mentioned above, filling each field in with useful details is important.
- Be clear about what you or your brand does
- State what people can expect to see if they follow you
- Add in that CTA we mention above.
Keep in mind, platforms change. Make sure you are checking back with each of your accounts to see if any fields have updated or been removed.
7. Make sure to use the pinned post option
When you pin a post to your profile, it will be the first thing people see. This option is available on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Choose your best work to showcase here. It could be a great blog post, an upcoming event, a special offer, a landing page you want to get eyes on…your choice.
Your social media profile is your online business card. It is the first impression people will get of you or your brand, so make it good. The above tips will not only help you create a nice profile to look at, but also boost your reach and engagement.